The line was progressively electrificatied in the following stages from 1985: After Die Wende in 1989, many sidings and stations were closed and later partly dismantled (such as Rostock freight yard).The sidings for the military trains of the National People’s Army were no longer needed and have been completely dismantled, the stations of Schwarzenpfost, Altheide, Langenhanshagen, Starkov and Pantelitz have not been served since 1996.The necessary locomotives exchange took place in Ribnitz station (now Ribnitz-Damgarten West).
The closed stations were completely demolished in the course of the renovation.
But, after the renovation of the track, a new station was opened in Stralsund Grünhufe.
After the outcome of the review of the demand plan for federal railway infrastructure of 11 November 2010, it was decided not to pursue the project because of its unfavourable benefit-cost ratio.
In March 2007, the first works were carried out for upgrading the Rostock–Ribnitz-Damgarten West section to be operated at 160 km/h.
In the late 1950s a branch was built to the north of the line to the north port of Rostock with a link towards Rostock and towards Bentwisch on the line to Stralsund.
The other major connection was the industrial railway to the fertilizer plant at Poppendorf.
All stations are still manned and the line is protected by signals controlled by relay interlocking at local signal boxes.
During the line upgrade, the track in the section between Rostock and Ribnitz–Damgarten West was to be doubled because of the current high train density.
The track was built by the Prussian state railways and officially opened on 1 July 1888.
The Mecklenburg government participated only financially. The line crossed the boundary between the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and the Prussian province of Pomerania between Ribnitz and Damgarten.
In addition the last local freight train operated in 1996.