During the Second World War a third of the city was destroyed by Allied bombing, which claimed 467 lives.
Klingspor and Linotype (inventors of Optima or Palatino typeface) moving to nearby Eschborn in the 1970s and MAN Roland printing machines still a major employer today.
Typography and design still remain important with a cluster of graphic design and industrial design companies, as well as the university level Hochschule für Gestaltung Offenbach am Main design school and the Klingspor Museum.
The inner town of Offenbach is quite large and has only a few suburbs.
In the east the three incorporated: Bürgel (incorporated 1908), Bieber (incorporated April 1, 1938), and Rumpenheim (incorporated April 4, 1942).
Until the end of the 17th century, Offenbach remained a small town with less than a thousand habitants.
With the coming into power of the count Johann Philipp in 1685, the city began to develop and the population rose steadily.The Deutscher Wetterdienst, commonly abbreviated as DWD, (translated from German as German Meteorological Service), residing in the Westend district.Offenbach was also the European center of typography, with Gebr.In the 19th century the city became industrialized and the population increased even tenfold.Offenbach is one of the German cities where Germans without migrant background make up a minority of the population. 44.3% of residents or 55,047 people had no foreign background.During the Middle Ages Offenbach passed through many hands.