) is one of the Danish Baltic Sea islands, and part of the Southern Denmark Region.
The name comes from the Danish words ær (maple) and ø (island).
In 1629 the main town of Ærøskøbing burnt down in a great fire.
The island's beaches also attract anglers and artists.
As one of the islands making up the South Funen Archipelago, Ærø is favoured by particularly fine weather.
King Christian IV's cousin, also named Christian, was the Duke of Ærø from 1622 to 1633, and lived with his concubine Cathrine Griebels at Gråsten Manor House.
When the Duke died, a banner was found at Gråsten composed of nine pieces of cloth and in three colours – body colour, sea green, and golden yellow.
We are currently working on reproducing our library of vintage patterns that have passed into the public domain and will include them here as quickly as we can.
All of the free knitting patterns that appear on this website have passed into the public domain.
Gråsten Manor House was abolished in 1766 and the buildings were demolished. This is marked by the memorial stone at Olde Mølle (English = Ancient mill).
At the union, the old Code of Jutland from 1241 was applied and even today some of those rules are still valid.
Since 1 January 2006 the whole of Ærø has constituted a single municipality, known as Ærø Kommune.
Before that date, there were two municipalities on the island: Ærøskøbing Kommune in the west and Marstal Kommune in the east.
During this period — from the 14th century to the year 1864 – Ærø was united and separated, alternately, into a number of enclaves.