) is a Danish town with a population of 31,505 (2015) located in the centre of North Zealand some 30 km to the north of Copenhagen, Denmark.
Hillerød is the administrative centre of Hillerød Municipality and also the administrative seat of Region Hovedstaden (Capital Region of Denmark), one of the five regions in Denmark.
The Trompet 8’ on the Hovedværk is the original one dating from 1864.
When Frederiksborg Castle was rebuilt after a fire in 1859, Marcussen & Søn were asked to build a new organ for the chapel. The facade was crafted as a copy of the Maas/Lorentz organ’s sumptuous facade, while the organ itself was built in the prevailing style at that time, with tradtional classical action, and tonal resources primarily intended for the performance of early romantic music.
The instrument had 25 stops distributed over Hovedværk (Great Organ) Præluderværk (a division for chorale preludes), and a Pedal. In 1944-47 the organ was altered and enlarged by the organ builders Th. In the course of the 1950s and 60s a major alteration or enlargement of the organ was called for owing to the increase in concert activities in the chapel. In 2002 the organ was restored and the original specification was re-created.
His son, Christian IV, tore down most of the old buildings and built a new castle between 16.
It was never officially incorporated as a market town but prospered from ample privileges afforded by successive monarchs, although it experienced a set back when Frederick IV moved court to Fredensborg Palace in the 1720s.
Hillerød was from 1772 until 1908 named Frederiksborg after its castle.
Its first town council was established in 1778 and its town shield, which features a flowering elder tree, is from 1787.The two principal shopping streets are Slotsgade and pedestrianized Helsingørsgade.The largest shopping centre is Slotsarkaderne with 50 stores.These included Nordstens Fabrikker, a manufacturer of agricultural machinery, which opened in 1877.A privately owned slaughterhouse and meetpacking facility, Hillerød Svineslagteri, opened in 1896.It was converted into the cooperative Hillerød Andelssvineslagteri by 300 local farmers in 1913.